Recall Details For: 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA MATRIX
NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER - 15V286000
- RUNNING SEQUENCE NUMBER: 109943
- NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER:15V286000
- VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT MAKE: TOYOTA
- VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT MODEL: COROLLA MATRIX
- MODEL YEAR: 2004
- MFR CAMPAIGN NUMBER : 14491
- COMPONENT DESCRIPTION: AIR BAGS
- MANUFACTURER THAT FILED DEFECT/NONCOMPLIANCE REPORT: Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing
- BEGIN DATE OF MANUFACTURING: 20020106
- END DATE OF MANUFACTURING: 20070605
- VEHICLE, EQUIPMENT OR TIRE REPORT: V
- POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 1069055
- DATE OWNER NOTIFIED BY MFR: 20150713
- RECALL INITIATOR (MFR/OVSC/ODI): MFR
- MANUFACTURERS OF RECALLED VEHICLES/PRODUCTS: Toyota Motor Corporation
- REPORT RECEIVED DATE: 20150513
- RECORD CREATION DATE: 20150513
- REGULATION PART NUMBER:
- FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NUMBER:
Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) notified the agency on May 13, 2015, that they are recalling 2005-2007 Lexus SC, Toyota Corolla, Corolla Matrix, Sequoia, and Pontiac Vibe, and 2005-2006 Toyota Tundra vehicles that were originally sold, or ever registered, in Florida, along the Gulf Coast, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Saipan and American Samoa. On June 16, 2015 Toyota expanded the recall to cover an additional 769,055 vehicles, including certain model year 2002-2004 Lexus SC, Toyota Sequoia, 2003-2004 Toyota Corolla Matrix, Toyota Corolla, Pontiac Vibe, and Toyota Tundra vehicles, as well the vehicles covered by the May 13, 2015 notification in the portions of Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas that were not previously included. The inflators in the front passenger air bags are susceptible to rupture in the event of a crash necessitating the deployment of the front passenger air bag.
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the passenger's frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants potentially resulting in serious injury or death.
Toyota will notify their owners. Pontiac Vibe owners will be notified by GM. Dealers will replace the passenger side front air bag, free of charge. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331. Toyota began the recall on July 13, 2015. Pontiac Vibe owners may contact GM at 1-800-762-2737. GM began the recall on June 29, 2015. NOTE: This recacll supersedes recall 14V-655 in its entirety. For vehicles located in the U.S. states not listed above, please see Toyota recall 15V-285 which covers all other U.S. states.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
UNIQUE COMPONENT NUMBER: 000057655000593777000000256