Recall Details For: 2005 SATURN ION
NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER - 14V171000
- RUNNING SEQUENCE NUMBER: 103264
- NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER:14V171000
- VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT MAKE: SATURN
- VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT MODEL: ION
- MODEL YEAR: 2005
- MFR CAMPAIGN NUMBER : 14113,14133
- COMPONENT DESCRIPTION: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
- MANUFACTURER THAT FILED DEFECT/NONCOMPLIANCE REPORT: General Motors LLC
- BEGIN DATE OF MANUFACTURING: 20040427
- END DATE OF MANUFACTURING: 20050606
- VEHICLE, EQUIPMENT OR TIRE REPORT: V
- POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 2191014
- DATE OWNER NOTIFIED BY MFR: 20140418
- RECALL INITIATOR (MFR/OVSC/ODI): MFR
- MANUFACTURERS OF RECALLED VEHICLES/PRODUCTS: General Motors LLC
- REPORT RECEIVED DATE: 20140410
- RECORD CREATION DATE: 20140410
- REGULATION PART NUMBER:
- FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NUMBER:
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt, 2006-2011 Chevrolet HHR, 2007-2010 Pontiac G5, 2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice, 2003-2007 Saturn Ion, and 2007-2010 Saturn Sky vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the key can be removed from the ignition when the ignition is not in the "Off" position.
If the key can be removed from the ignition when the ignition is not in the "off" position, the vehicle could roll away: (a) for an automatic transmission, if the transmission is not in the "Park" position; or (b) for a manual transmission, if the parking brake is not engaged and the transmission is not in the "Reverse" position. This potential for rollaway increases the risk for a crash and occupant or pedestrian injuries.
General Motors will notify owners, and for vehicles that were built with the defective ignition cylinder and have not previously had the ignition cylinder replaced with the redesigned part, dealers will replace the ignition cylinder and cut and, if necessary, re-learn two ignition/door keys for each vehicle. For vehicles that were built with the redesigned ignition cylinder or had the ignition cylinder replaced with the redesigned part, dealers will cut and, if necessary, re-learn two ignition/door keys for each vehicle. The recall began on April 18, 2014. Chevrolet owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-222-1020, Pontiac owners at 1-800-762-2737, and Saturn owners at 1-800-553-6000. General Motors' number for this recall is 14113 for the ignition lock cylinder and key replacement, and 14133 for only key replacements. Note: Until a vehicle has been remedied, owners and operators are advised that when exiting, to be sure that the vehicle is in "Park," or in the case of a manual transmission, that the vehicle is in the "Reverse" position and the parking brake is engaged.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
UNIQUE COMPONENT NUMBER: 000056325000216016000000212