Recall Details For: 2006 SATURN ION
NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER - 14V153000
- RUNNING SEQUENCE NUMBER: 102518
- NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER:14V153000
- VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT MAKE: SATURN
- VEHICLE/EQUIPMENT MODEL: ION
- MODEL YEAR: 2006
- MFR CAMPAIGN NUMBER : N140115
- COMPONENT DESCRIPTION: STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
- MANUFACTURER THAT FILED DEFECT/NONCOMPLIANCE REPORT: General Motors LLC
- BEGIN DATE OF MANUFACTURING: 20050413
- END DATE OF MANUFACTURING: 20060505
- VEHICLE, EQUIPMENT OR TIRE REPORT: V
- POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 1373177
- DATE OWNER NOTIFIED BY MFR: 20140717
- RECALL INITIATOR (MFR/OVSC/ODI): ODI
- MANUFACTURERS OF RECALLED VEHICLES/PRODUCTS: General Motors LLC
- REPORT RECEIVED DATE: 20140331
- RECORD CREATION DATE: 20140331
- REGULATION PART NUMBER:
- FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NUMBER:
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2004-2006 and 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu, 2004-2006 Malibu Maxx, 2009-2010 HHR (non-turbo), 2010 Cobalt, 2008-2009 Saturn Aura and 2004-2007 Ion, and 2005-2009 Pontiac G6. In the affected vehicles, there may be a sudden loss of electric power steering (EPS) assist that could occur at any time while driving.
If power steering assist is lost, greater driver effort would be required to steer the vehicle at low speeds, increasing the risk of a crash.
GM will notify owners, and dealers will perform one of four bulletins. Parts are not currently available. GM expects to send an interim notification around May 28, 2014. When parts are available, owners will be mailed a second letter to come in to have the applicable bulletin applied. Bulletin 14115 covers model year 2004-2007 Saturn Ion, 2009-2010 Chevrolet HHR and 2010 Chevrolet Cobalts. Dealers will replace the EPS motor. Bulletin 14116 covers model year 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu Maxx, 2005-2006 Pontiac G6 and 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura built from March 1, 2008, through June 27, 2008. Dealers will replace the torque sensor assembly. Bulletin 14117 covers model year 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura built from February 1, 2008, through February 28, 2008. Dealers will replace the torque sensor assembly and EPS motor controller unit. Bulletin 14118 covers model year 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura built from October 1, 2007, through January 31, 2008. Dealers will replace the EPS motor controller unit. The recall began on July 17, 2014. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438, Saturn at 1-800-553-6000, and Pontiac at 1-800-620-7668. GM's number for this recall is N140115. Note: GM bulletin number 14119 will be implemented for model year 2006-2008 and early production of 2009 Chevrolet HHR (non-turbo) and model year 2003 Saturn ION to provide EPS Motor replacement for the life of the vehicle.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
UNIQUE COMPONENT NUMBER: 000056288000216017000001003